For New Bands ...
Elwood Witt - email@example.com - Posted November 2, 2003
HI - IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVE WORKED WITH BANDS... for new bands here are a few thoughts.
1) If the band wants to be full time - and one member only wants to play, work around day job -
GET RID OF DAY JOBBER.
2) IF U GO TO EUROPE - use a known booker - to book the tour. Don't hook up with anyone in Europe,
that u dont know.
3) LOVERS/SPOUSES can send a band straight to "hate hell", try to minimize their influence on the band.
GOOD LUCK. Don't allow other people to attend practice at will for starters.
4) GET TO KNOW - A) people who attend your shows. B) college radio dj's. C) OTHER like bands in your area.
5) IT IS IMPORTANT - that an outgoing member of the band, hang out on a regular basis, in the local
music scene. This is how contacts are made.
6) VOLUNTEER HELP - there are lots of young people who want to be envolved in the music
biz, in some way or another. They will put up flyers - help with websites - SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF YOUR BAND.
7) Play with different types of bands.
8) DON'T HAVE A RECORDING DEAL -- give away or sell cds of a live performance.
9) WHEN U START TO GET A STREET BUZZ - be careful in picking a manager - ask around about individuals
who want to mangage your career.
10) BEST PLACES TO LIVE - college towns - big cities.
BEST COLLEGE TOWNS - several come to mind - Austin, Texas, any college town in MINN/WISC - Santa Cruz, Calif.
EUGENE OREGON (i live here) - 22 places where bands can play at least one nite a week. About 12 of those
at least 5 nites a week.
PRACTICE - PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE - u might think u are good, but when u look back in 5 or 10 times,
u will be amazed at how bad u were, when u started.
DONT GIVE UP!! -- THIS ONE FOR THE GUYS - dont use a woman to support u. THIS HAPPENS WAY TO OFTEN!!
Back to the "Take Note" Main Page
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: CHECK ON THIS FINE PRINTING COMPANY:
Promotional Products, Discount Labels, Post-it Notes,
Rubber Stamps, etc.